Monday, July 9, 2012

Sock Monkeys


Happy Monday Everyone!

This is a thank you card I made for Tori last week.  She's our next door neighbor's daughter who was home for a month or so on summer break from University of Virginia where she is a Pre-Med student in her senior year. She has been working with me and Allan at UM for the last month on some data work for the Prerequisite Enforcement project. 

There's a bit of a story behind the sock monkey theme. . .I have a sock monkey puppet at the office that I use for those days when I'm bored or I need to cheer someone else up.  Tori and I had been working hard one day and were dizzy from all the spreadsheets of data we were sorting through.  The project involved interpreting some "rules" with a lot of parenthesis like . . . "allow registration if (the student passed their math placement) or (if they had a C- or better in Math 101)".  So I got out the sock monkey to have a little fun.  I decided his name needed to be "Paren"  and he needed to talk with a very French accent.  We giggled and laughed and played for awhile and then got back to work.  For the next few weeks, we used Paren to help us get through the tedious work days. 

Tuesday was Tori's last day on the project so as a going away gift we gave her Paren and this little thank you card.  We hope Paren will cheer her up on those days at UVA when she's cramming for her BioChem tests.

P.S.  Just a few details about the card. . . .it's a sketch I found from Splitcoaststampers Card Sketch Challenge and I used the "KandCompany" paper pack and embellishment pack I got from Memory Lane last summer. 

I used the "Solid Stripes" stamp from Stampin' Up's 2010 Occassions Mini to make the green striped cardstock on the card base.  Loved! how that turned out.  Will have to do that again sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment